Tuesday 3 September 2013

Guest Post: Stella Eromonsere-Ajanaku author of Husband to Rent

Today I have the privilege of hosting Stella Eromonsere-Ajanaku. She’s talking about what inspired her to write her latest release Husband to Rent? Take it away Stella.
Interestingly, I was in the middle of writing my first Nigerian Historical Romance novel last year, when a strange and crazy question filtered into my mind as I travelled to work in a London bus.
Usually, there are couples at bus stops, in the bus or walking along the road. In the buses, I also observed women looking like the world weighed heavily on their shoulders. Sometimes, the women looked lonely and in dire need of male company and the fun that comes with such experience.

A weird thought crept into my mind that what if women could actually 'rent' a husband to achieve their aim of appearing 'married'. Justification for such craziness readily came to mind as I remembered my youth. I have seen children of wealthy parents wallow under the unbearable weight of their dictatorship. Such overbearing parents outline unrealistic rules that 'imprison' their children. In their bid to gain freedom, they search for ways to outsmart their parents.
To compoud the issue, in Nigeria (especially in the South), there's a desperate rush and an intense pressure to get married as you approach age thirty.
Once the story took firm root in my heart, I was amazed at how quickly the plot developed. I love the characters, their personality and how they struggled to resist temptation and fight to achieve their heart's desire. I used to wake up with dialogue between the characters spinning in my head.
Shortly after pulling the story together, I got a new job and set the first draft of HUSBAND TO RENT aside. A couple of months ago, I fell ill and got hospitalized and on doctor's orders, I had to stay off work. Within the few hours every couple of days when I was able, I edited the story and to God's glory, it is now published.

Blurb
Trapped in wealthy bondage
With her siblings legally married, parental and societal pressure mounting daily successful banker and cynic, Otasowie Idah knew she was fast running out of excuses. How long was she going to pretend that being single at twenty-nine didn't carry a stigma?
Her inheritance is at stake! She's pushed to marrying the man her father chooses for her...until she stumbles across an escape route out of her bonds. And then, she plans the unthinkable! To rent a husband for a week! Will Otasowie’s carefully woven scheme unravel their locked infatuation?
Will he be her husband for a week?
With his parents and friends reservations ringing in his head, Gambian born and bred hotelier, Fara Damba shoves his recently broken engagement behind him to trace his grandfather in a country he knows nothing about. His only purpose in Nigeria is to quickly find his grandfather, and return to his homeland.
A chance meeting with Otasowie at the Registry office is all it takes to kick start a chain of events that will test their values. Is Fara willing to get help at any cost? And will he grant her absurd wish to be her husband for one week?

Excerpt:
You kept me waiting for hours,' was all Fara could muster, his throat muscles working furiously.
   Taking in deep breath, he raised both hands up. 'Set me free. You're making a show of us in public,' he chided, as he fenced off more than four pairs of eyes belonging to the viewing diners.
   She left one arm lingering boldly at his waistline, as she cat walked to stand beside him. In her heels, she reached his neck. She's a tall woman, he admitted as her classy perfume lingered between them.
   Thankfully, as a rule, he preferred women in average pack size. But this woman is fearless and demanding.
   She surely isn't his type. Too flirty for his liking!
   He preferred his woman, slightly tame and submissive. 'Where have you been?' he demanded, after de-tangling her supple arms from his sweltering waistline.
   A near sensual smile played around her full lips, almost causing havoc in his trousers, as a thin film of sweat broke out on his bunched chin.
   'I was held up at work. I had to sprint to be here.'
   He gave her attire a glance over. She looked smashing in a turquoise blue, one hand, body hugging short dress. Her legs, smooth as glass, stretched for miles.
   And, his chest beeped at least twice, as the thought of what his hands could do with her legs rushed to his head.
   What a distraction!
   Why did he have to pick this woman?
'You look great,' he eventually complimented, when he remembered his good manners. 'Please sit down,' he invited, as he offered her the seat opposite him.
   'Thank you, Fara.' He tried in vain to recall her name, but gave up after thirty seconds. 'Are you saying you work till eleven sometimes?' he asked out of inquisitiveness, rather than interest.
   At least, that's what he wanted to believe.
   From her quizzical look, she didn't miss the hint of frustration underlining his question. 'Let me say, it's not unusual.'
   He noticed she avoided his questioning gaze.
   What kind of stupid answer is that? He wondered, glaring at her. He wouldn't be surprised if she’s having an affair at work! Why else would such a sexy female enjoy working late?
   She’s such a seductive woman.
   Bitter saliva trickled down his throat. 'Do you have spare dinner clothes in the office?' his question came out more like a sneer.
   A tolerant sigh escaped her lips.
   'I get invited to dinner now and again. I like to be ready.' One well-lined eyebrow flashed up.
   'Going on dinner dates from work is routine? What kind of job is that?' he couldn't help the disapproval showing up in his breath.


Book Review
"I just finished reading it right now...and I LOVED IT!!! But l think this is the most erotic book in your collection . You are a very talented writer and the glory of GOD shines through your work .  l cant wait for your next book. And l loved the character Fara.... lol.'' by Ella De Castillo.
Buy links




Author Bio:
I was born in a lovely bustling place in South West Nigeria called Benin City but I live in London. I’m second in a family of six. I have a B.Sc in Microbiology and an MBA.
I love and enjoy writing romance novels that are a fine blend of intense sensual romance, intrigue and conflict. My characters are larger-than-life, feisty and have a heart and soul. The storylines are detailed with heart-stopping romantic twists that come alive.
In 2010, I created Flirty & Feisty Romance Novel. My collection of contemporary romance novels includes, LOITERING SHADOWS, STORMY DEFENSE, BEYOND the LADY, the National Novel Writing Month 2010 winning novel, THE GARDENER’s ICE MAIDEN, SPARKLING DAWN and HUSBAND to RENT.
I’m currently working on my first Nigerian. Historrrical Romance. It's a series of three books set in Ancient Benin City. The three titles are set in three era, the 18th, 19th & 20th Century respectively. I'm thrilled for the opportunity to research my ancestors of the ancient Benin Empire. I'm keen to throw in the reign of Oba Ovoranmwen Nogbaisi (1888 – 1914) who was exiled to Calabar in 1897 by the British. I'm determined to bring the bustling Benin Empire to my readers.
I take care of my handsome, life-size hero of a husband and two vibrant & loving ‘near teenagers’. I’m a Quality Assurance Professional with over sixteen years food industry experience. I love to read romance novels, swim and watch TV, including Nollywood.

5 comments:

  1. That's certainly an intriguing premise for a story. Congratulations on your new book, Stella.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great premise! Congratulations to Stella!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Intriguing blurb and sexually tense excerpt. Well done, Stella. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow hoo! Thank you so much Kiru, Christine, Lynda and readinpleasure for commending my premise. HUSBAND to RENT was a real joyful story to write. I'm definitely pleased you find the premise intriguing. Wonderful to have you stop by.

    @Lynda, HUSBAND to RENT is a fun read. I will be waiting to read your views of the twist and outcome of this exotic and sensually explosive tale.

    @readinpleasure, Fara Damba and Ota Idah's story is surely as 'intriguing and sexually tense' as the excerpt. When are you planning on reading HUSBAND to RENT? Please let me know what you think after reading.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments.